Reconstruction of 2012-2015 turned out to be the most expensive and global in the history of the theater - more than a billion rubles was spent on major repairs and restoration, increasing the stage three times, building new technical rooms, modern stage equipment. Today, the renovated theater building is open to all fans of dramatic art.
The facade of the theater, photo 2019.
In Siberia, considered the edge of hard labor and exile, raw material appendage, despite the difficult living and working conditions, people were drawn to culture. The first theatrical art in the region originated in the early 18th century and was ecclesiastical, and in the sixties it began to be of an amateur character. Recognition of the dramatic theater was closer to the beginning of the 19th century, and by the middle of the century professional troupes from the central part of Russia had started to come to the city - it became clear that without a special room can not do, it was necessary to pull up behind the advanced part of the country. And in 1873, where the Lokomotiv stadium is located today, the predecessor of the modern Krasnoyarsk theater was erected - a wooden building with 300 seats. The theater existed in difficult economic conditions until 1898, until a fire occurred - the building burned to the ground.
The tragic event forced the public to begin collecting donations for the construction of a new theater, now a stone one and in a new place - Voskresenskaya Street, now the Mira Avenue. The merchants, teachers, and workers carried money to the temple of art. One of the major donors and creators of the project was the chairman of the Krasnoyarsk Drama Society, merchant Kuznetsov A. Construction works were supervised by the engineer-technologist Aleksandrov. A total of about 60 thousand rubles were spent on construction - at that time quite substantial money. The building of the Pushkin folk house-theater was completed in 1902. Later, this building has undergone numerous reconstruction, so that to this day continue to carry a cultural mission and keep pace with the times.
One of the historical sources tells about the Krasnoyarsk theater in 1857: "The theater at that time was lit with tallow candles and went to it with their chairs."
Before the appearance of the stone building, which was built in 1902, the Krasnoyarsk theater art developed quite poorly. In general, the performances were amateur and only occasionally visiting professional guest performers introduced the audience to classical drama.
The new building after the construction was used not only for the needs of the theater - on the ground floor there was a shop, a library, a reading room and a drawing school. There were various exhibitions and masquerades. The familiar name of the Pushkin folk house-theater was replaced by the "Pushkin City Theater" in 1904, the inscription on the facade appeared in 1907, but the building continued to be used in various needs of citizens until the revolution.
After the popular unrest in 1905, theatrical art suffered a decline - staged in the symbolist, decadent direction. A turning point not only for theatrical art, but for the whole country occurred in 1917 - the Great October Socialist Revolution was accomplished. After these events, the repertoire of the theater was gradually replenished with classical and Soviet dramaturgy. During the the Second World War the theater did not stop work - on the stage they played themed performances to maintain the morale of the population. After the war, when the country needed to be rebuilt, performances were staged for the workers of the collective farms.
During the Soviet era, the N.Pogodin's drama "Man with a Gun" and "The Kremlin Chimes" were reproduced on the stage of the theater, in which the images of the greatest leaders of the revolution, VI Lenin and JV Stalin, were recreated.
The modern building of the theater is an architectural monument, an object of cultural heritage of regional significance. Before the building acquired its present appearance, it underwent many reconstructions, both internal and external.
The original building, erected in 1902, was executed in eclectic style, there was no high pediment and columns that can be seen on the facade today. The interior arrangement, at that time, seemed a luxury - the presence of finishes, seats and even electric lighting. But soon it became clear that the theater was tight in such conditions - many technical premises were not taken into account - this problem will become the main one during subsequent transformations.
The first repair was needed after the fire of 1930 - the building suffered significantly, the restoration work was carried out according to the sketches of the architect VA Sokolovsky. After that, the large-scale reconstruction was carried out between 1952 and 1963 according to the project of the Armenian architect Gevorg Kochar - the theater acquired a modern look (for translation - in the sense of today) - the facade is redone in the neoclassical style. The stage was enlarged, the premise for the make-up and decorating workshops was added, but this was not enough - all the important services of the theater continued to huddle in cramped premises, and some even were located under the stage and stairs.
By the time of the second large-scale reconstruction, the building was considerably dilapidated and required additional costs for repairs. In 2000, the regional administration allocated money to save the theater. The project was based on the project of the architect Demirkhanov A.S. and designer Harlov Yu.P., created in 1991, but not implemented due to the change of government in the country. The project envisaged the solution of most problems, but, obviously, due to lack of funding, the work carried out was not enough. The subsequent reconstruction of 2012-2015 turned out to be the most expensive and global in the history of the theater - more than a billion rubles was spent on major repairs and restoration, increasing the stage three times, building new technical rooms, modern stage equipment. Today, the renovated theater building is open to all fans of dramatic art.
In 1946 Krasnoyarsk artist Karatanov DI, the author of the first stage curtain of the theater, wrote: "It is very ridiculous to rebuild the old building. The place for the theater is where the Lokomotiv stadium is now. This building is left in this form ... ". Subsequently, throughout the history of the theater's existence, the building survived four large-scale reconstructions.
In the history of the theater there is a very important memorable date - October 21, 1905. On this day the theater became a stronghold of the people's rally, in which, in consequence of the tragic events, several dozen people were killed and wounded.
Prerequisites for the rally were the revolutionary sentiments of workers throughout the country, which reached Siberia by the 1890s. With the implementation of the Trans-Siberian Railway, the labor movement has become more massive and organized. These sentiments were also spread by the local intelligentsia through the organization of Sunday schools, folk libraries and reading.
The revolutionary unrest that occurred in the western part of the country was warmly supported by the majority of the workers of Krasnoyarsk. On October 21, a local rally was organized by the local Russian Social-Democratic Party headed by Uritsky. The demonstrators included workers of railway workshops of the Krasnoyarsk car repair shop, craftsmen, labor intelligentsia, and students.
However, not all the population was unanimously determined - the Black Hundreds and Cossacks organized an armed attack on the protesters. They were people who held monarchical views. The building of the theater was liberated from the siege by the soldiers of the second railway battalion who came to the aid of the insurgents. Subsequently, the uprisings that took place throughout the country did not immediately lead to the desired result and the existing power rules for several more years. In the theater, two weeks after this tragic event, the performances resumed.
This event was displayed in the paintings of Krasnoyarsk artists - Znak AM "Krasnoyarsk. 1905 "and Lekarenko AP" 1905 in Krasnoyarsk ".
To date, Pushkin's drama theater is the regional state institution of culture. This is one of the best and oldest theaters in Siberia. In 2011, he entered the list of Russian Forbes - "10 provincial theaters, which are definitely worth a visit." After the repair of 2015, the theater became available for the less mobile groups of the population.
Today, after several generations and epochs, the theater continues to develop actively, pleasing the Krasnoyarsk residents and guests of the city with classical and modern dramatic art.