Today, the Department of Russian Art of the Krasnoyarsk Art Museum is located in the buikding, which is an architectural monument and an object of cultural heritage of regional importance. The building was built in 1909 according to the project of the architect Sokolovsky V. N., with the participation of the sculptor Popov A. G.
Facade of the Museum building, photo 2017.
Collections of works of the Krasnoyarsk Art Museum named after Surikov VI began to form at the end of the XIX century. thanks to the donations of the local intelligentsia to the city museum - now Krasnoyarsk regional studies. Later, there was a need to separate collections of works of art from the local history museum, and in 1921 at a meeting of the Yenisei Provincial Executive Committee it was decided to organize an art gallery in the city. But the room was not found right away, and the collections continued to exist for a long time within the walls of Krasnoyarsk Regional Museum until 1958, when finally a room was found for the creation of an art gallery. The exhibits were housed in house No. 68 on the street of the newspaper "Krasnoyarsk Worker". In 1983, the gallery receives the status of a museum and a new premises at its disposal - the mansion of Vera Gadalova on the street of the Paris Commune, house number 20. At this address the collection of Russian art is located today. In the previous building, decorative and applied art exhibition is placed as it is one of the departments of the Surikov Museum.
The basis of the first collection of the gallery included about three hundred works of Russian pre-revolutionary art and partly foreign art transferred from the museum of local lore.
Today, the Department of Russian Art of the Krasnoyarsk Art Museum is located in the buikding, which is an architectural monument and an object of cultural heritage of regional importance - the former mansion of Gadalova V. N., who was the wife of the famous Krasnoyarsk merchant Gadalova I. G.
The building was built in 1909 according to the project of the architect Sokolovsky V. N., with the participation of the sculptor Popov A. G. This one-storey stone building, executed in eclectic style — there are elements of the styles of Art Modern, Renaissance and Baroque.
Initially, the mansion was intended for solemn receptions of the Krasnoyarsk merchant family of Gadalovs; Later, from the 20's to the 82-ies in the building housed a children's preventive hospital. Under the art museum, the mansion was adapted in the 82–83-ies by the institute Krasnoyarsk Civil Project, architect Pirogov V. N.
To date, the mansion is a valuable architectural object for the construction of the historical center of the city of Krasnoyarsk early XX century.
In 1913, traveling to Eastern Siberia and the Far East, Fridtjof Wedel-Jarlsberg Nansen, a famous Norwegian polar explorer, doctor of zoology, founder of physical oceanography, political and public figure, humanist, philanthropist, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize for 1922, stayed in the mansion . This event is dedicated to a commemorative plaque on the wall of the building.
Surikov Museum, initially, was developed thanks to local connoisseurs of culture, who gave artworks from their own collections. Also works from private collections of such artists as Kvadal MF, Reikhel K. Kh., Vasiliev FA, Gurkin GI came to the museum.
After the revolution of the 17th year, the collections were replenished with works from the State Museum Fund. Also, the museum independently purchased works from private collections.
The department of Russian art includes works by such famous artists as Repin, Aivazovsky, Kramskoy, Shishkin, Korovin, Surikov.
Of particular value are the unique examples of the late Russian icon, the work of the artists of the Krasnoyarsk Territory.
The museum can be found not only with the painting of the masters of the XVIII - XIX centuries, but also with graphics, engraving, lithography.
The main patrons of the museum before the revolution were people whose surnames in Krasnoyarsk are still famous to this day - Surikovs, Gadalovs, Matveyevs, Yudins. A significant part of the exhibits was donated by the Krasnoyarsk gold miner Kuznetsov P.I.