In 1930 the museum building acquired its final form, the first exposition was opened. The museum acquired its modern name only in 1935, after the formation of the Krasnoyarsk Territory.
Facade of the Museum building, photo 2017.
The desire of the Siberians to transfer the accumulated cultural heritage to future generations gave rise to the idea of creating a Krasnoyarsk museum of local lore.
Originally, the museum was located in the estate of Krutovsky, which, at that time, belonged to his heirs - the Matveyev family. It was the Matveyevs who showed initiative in creating a museum that the public actively supported — people donated their belongings, books, money. On February 12, 1889 the museum was officially opened. Already by 1892 the museum's fund numbered 10 136 subjects.
In 1895, due to the constant increase in the number of exhibits, the museum was moved to Svetlakov's house, but the sacrifices did not stop and at the beginning of 1910 the question arose about the construction of a special building, and on January 23, 1913, the city duma decided to build one for the city museum, in the same year construction began.
The building was decided to be built according to the project of the Krasnoyarsk architect LA Chernyshev, along the quay of the left bank. The project of the building was made in the style of "modern", stylized as an ancient Egyptian temple. Drawings of the author, to this day, are stored in the scientific archive of the museum.
In the summer of 1914 the First World War began, and then, in 1917, a revolution took place in Russia - these events suspended the construction of the museum. The unfinished building was used as barracks, later as a military hospital. Only in 1920 the building was released, handed over to the people's commissariat of enlightenment, and gave a new name — " The State Museum of the Yenisei Region ". The museum was preparing to move into the building, but because of the fire it was postponed for several more years. Restorative work began only in 1927, and in 1930 the museum building finally acquired its final form, the first exposition was opened. The museum acquired its modern name only in 1935, after the formation of the Krasnoyarsk Territory.
The first exhibits of the museum, at the end of the 19th century, were basically things donated by the inhabitants of the region. These were photographs, books, household items and much more. Later, in 1902, the Imperial Archaeological Commission presented the museum with more than 200 items of stone, copper and iron ages that were collected near Krasnoyarsk and the Yenisei province.
1920-1930 were the "Golden Decade of Local History", therefore in these years the museum was focused on the local history movement that captured Russia — studying Siberia, exploring its natural resources.
From 1941 to 1945, the museum's collections were mothballed, because of the beginning of the Great Patriotic War (for the English version of the Second World War). In the building are located evacuated institutions, which, by the end of the war, led the building of the museum to a state of total unfitness. Repair was carried out only in 1947, to the 30th anniversary of the October Revolution.
The museum's activities in the 50's were to support the political and economic life of the region, agricultural topics became one of the leading. The museum annually provided premises for the autumn harvest exhibition.
60, 70, 80-ies were noted in the museum by creating a vast historical exposition, conducting lessons of "courage", a reception in the pioneers. In 1987, the museum was closed for reconstruction, which was completed only in 2001. At this time, the museum staff continued to engage in scientific and methodological activities, participated in exhibitions, archaeological excavations.
In 2013, the museum's funds already number about 470,000 exhibits, thus, the museum becomes the largest beyond the Urals.
Collections of the museum served as the basis for the creation of many cultural sites of the city - the Krasnoyarsk State Universal Scientific Library, the Museum-Estate of Surikov, Surikov’s Art Museum.
The main exposition of the Museum of Local Lore is devoted to the history of the Yenisei region — the largest region of Russia. The exposition contains collections of world significance — archaeological, paleontological, zoological, artistic, ethnographic, natural sciences. It stores manuscripts, written documents, weapons and much more.
The museum houses the only skeleton of the stegosaurus found in Russia, found in the coal mine near the town of Sharypovo, the reconstruction of a woolly rhinoceros, the full skeleton of a mammoth. In the archive of the museum there are amazing exhibits, such as the autograph of Napoleon and the autograph of Grigory Rasputin.
Today, the museum remains focused on the education of society — it conducts tours, lectures, competitions, organizes family leisure, traveling exhibitions. Excursions are conducted in Russian, English, German and French.