Organ hall. Catholic Church of the Transfiguration.

One of the oldest Catholic churches in Siberia. The only organ hall in the city. Monument of architecture.

History of creation

The history of this temple is closely connected with the history of Catholicism in Siberia. In the 18–19 centuries in Russia was born the Polish community, which preached, in contrast to the majority of the local population, the Catholic religion. Krasnoyarsk Catholic parish was founded in 1836, so there was a need for a building where believers could gather. In 1857 thanks to the parish in the Blagoveschenskaya street, now Lenin street, appeared the first Church, which was wooden, but it quickly fell into disrepair. For about 10 years, the community achieved the construction of a new Church, initiated fundraising across the province and even of the Empire. Finally, in 1911, were completed all construction works and the new Church arose in the new location — along Battalion street, today Dekabristov street.

At the place where the wooden Catholic Church was located, today there is the Siberian state technological University.

History of development

As a Catholic Church, the building after construction lasted for about 25 years, 14 years of which Catholics rented the building, because of the repressive measures taken by the Bolsheviks — which was due to the atheistic views of the time. In 1936 the building was finally taken away from the Catholic community. Partly to return the Church to use the Catholics managed after the strongest economic and political changes in the country — in 1993 it was again allowed to hold services. Before the building regained its status and appearance, it managed to serve the radio Committee and the local television company.

The Catholic community did not manage to fully return the building to its use, as a result of which a new Catholic Church was built in the Sunny district of the city of Krasnoyarsk.

About the building

Not a typical architectural style for this region is dictated by the cultural characteristics of Catholicism, which are more typical for European countries. Neo-Gothic style can be traced throughout — the frame arch at the base, arches, battlements, openwork details, elongated structures, Lancet Windows, a large round window above the entrance doors — rose. All this splendor was designed by the Krasnoyarsk architect Sokolov V. A. However, in the 30s of the 20th century the building was reconstructed — the bell towers were broken, several floors with offices were built inside, additional Windows were made in the walls, the organ was removed. So the building lasted until 1981, when there was a full-scale restoration with the participation of architects Soloviev A.I., Edward Panov and Julia Greenberg. The towers, the hall and the interior were restored. Bronze lamps created by Divnogorsk’s artists E. G. Belousov and V. G. Kazakov, from Divnogorsky plant low-voltage equipment materials. Stained glass Windows were performed by Krasnoyarsk artists Valentin Rekalov and Alexander Lapko. There was a basement and an underground passage to a nearby wooden building, which was previously used as housing by the servants of the temple. A lot of work has been done to install a new organ, which was ordered in the Czech Republic, in the company Rieger–Kloss — specialists came to Krasnoyarsk to measure the interiors of the building, in order to correctly construct a musical instrument, which later perfectly fell into place. The building has acquired its modern look and content.

Krasnoyarsk architect, who designed this building, Sokolovskiy V. A. was polish by birth and was a devout Catholic.

Organ hall today

To date, this building belongs to the state and is mostly used by the Krasnoyarsk Philharmonic, because such an organ hall in the city is not found. In the remaining time in the Church are held prayer services of the Catholic community. Many artists, who performed in the organ hall, appreciate the acoustic characteristics of the room and the sound of the instrument.

Krasnoyarsk organ has amazing characteristics — the longest pipe reaches 5 meters, and the diameter of the smallest is a few millimeters. There are about two thousand pipes in the instrument!

Address
St. Dekabristov, 20
Contacts

+7 (391) 221–05–66

krasfik.ru

Working hours
ПН
11:00

20:00
ВТ
11:00

20:00
СР
11:00

20:00
ЧТ
11:00

20:00
ПТ
11:00

20:00
СБ
11:00

20:00
ВС
11:00

20:00